Research & Teaching
The new research line Circular Design within De/Re/Sa at the University of Applied Science Salzburg investigates the design for a new, regenerative Circular Economy.
The new research line Circular Design focuses on core design strategies, concepts and tools, which are essential for designing products for circular use and the findings directly feed into the teaching of the students.
Designing for circles requires innovative process workflows in design, a broadened systemic view as well as a selection of new working methods. Circular Design focuses on the implementation of core design strategies, such as Cradle to Cradle, into internal processes and works on effective and impactful changes within product development processes.
The link with biological expert knowledge allows the incorporation of ecological principles into design strategies. Circular Design’s emphasis of Design for Diversity can play a vital role in developing environmentally friendly products.
De/Re/Sa (Design Research Salzburg) is the research institute of the Design and Product Management degree (DPM) of the University of Applied Sciences Salzburg. Founded through a FFG project, De/Re/Sa conducts interdisciplinary research at the interface of design, society, economics and technology since 2006.
Head of the research line Circular Design: Dr. Sonja Eser
Dr. Sonja Eser is a trained biologist and an expert for design in the regenerative Circular Economy. She leads the Circular Design research line.
- Lecturer Circular Design DPM
- Biology degree at the Ludwigs-Maximilians-Universität München
- Doctorate in ecotoxicology at TU München
- Freelancer since 2003 - Expertise in developing skills and competencies for sustainable economy with SinnenWandel
- Head of the EPEA Academy Munich until 2012, trained Cradle to Cradle (C2C) Design Consultant and recognised instructor for C2C in Europe
- Development of simulation game SIMPLYCYCLE for the Cradle to Cradle concept